While most of us will be spreading the Christmas spirit over the next few weeks, spending time with family, and generally enjoying the holidays, not everyone has the festive spirit. While we are looking forward to seeing the smiles on our loved one’s faces when they open their presents, there are some people that will be looking for the opportunity to steal them. So, let’s take a look at some of the best ways to keep burglars at bay over Christmas.
- Hide packaging – When everyone has opened their Christmas presents, make sure that all packaging is ripped up and buried in bins. You don’t want criminals to be able to see what has been added to your already festive-filled home.
- Improve your security system – Now is a good time to think about improving your security system. Nowadays, there are so many different technological solutions that are available to help you enhance your home’s security. This includes everything from CCTV systems and burglar alarms to systems that enable you to view who is at your front door simply by using an app on your mobile phone. The best thing to do is get in touch with a reputable company such as WesTec Services, and they will be able to advise you on the right security systems based on your property’s needs specifically.
- Look lived in – A lot of people go to visit their family over the Christmas period, and if this applies to you, it is a good idea to make sure your home looks lived in. You can deter burglars by turning on lights when no one is at home. Of course, you don’t want to have your lights on 24/7, which is why it is a good idea to buy a timer so that your lights turn off and on automatically at the times you have scheduled.
- Hide presents – Make sure your presents aren’t in display in any of the rooms. If someone looks through your window, they shouldn’t be able to see any gifts.
- Don’t leave notes on your front door – Don’t leave a note informing the postman that you’re not home and that they should leave the parcel in your shed. At best, someone may steal the parcel! At worst, someone will use this as an opportunity to break into your home.
- Check your locks – There is no time like the present to check your locks. If you don’t think they are sufficient enough to stop someone from breaking in, it is a good idea to upgrade them before it is too late.
- Don’t run electricity cords through window cracks – It can be tempting to do this as a way to make your house look pretty with fairy lights. However, you are only giving burglars an easy way in.
So there you have it: some of the best ways to keep your home secure over the Christmas period. Follow the advice that has been mentioned above to ensure you do not have a nightmare on your hands this festive period.