I have been using the built-in Maps app of the iPad (with 3G capability) to help me around with my travel adventures. At first, I thought it was the coolest navigation app I have tried on my new iPad that I completely gotten rid of my real old GPS device. Since I am a guy who mostly rely on default apps (especially when it comes to navigation), I never tried to search nor download any other apps. I only realized that I needed more than just the Maps app when I drove half a day and I wanted to have something more reliable.
So I began the search and found few free GPS apps. Are these the best free GPS app for the iPad so far?
1. MapQuest 4 Mobile App — Free Turn-By-Turn Voice-Guided GPS Navigation App!
MapQuest is the #1 provider of FREE voice-guided, turn-by-turn, GPS navigation for iPhone. Much like those expensive GPS units, this free app speaks to you, telling you when and where to make a turn. Easily search for restaurants & other popular places with a single tap. Stay on schedule by checking live traffic en route. And, If you take a wrong turn, MapQuest re-routes you automatically. Download the FREE app today!
MapQuest is truly a free product – there is no trial period, subscription or upgrade necessary. You get all these capabilities absolutely free!
– Voice-guided, Turn-by-Turn Directions – Like a GPS, your phone speaks to you.
– Gas Prices – Find the cheapest gas prices near you.
– Live Traffic Cameras – See what the traffic looks like ahead.
– Simplified Search – Look for restaurants, gas stations & more with a tap.
– Live Traffic – Updated every 5 minutes.
– Walking & Driving Directions – Either way, we’ll give you the best route.
– MORE: Multiple-stop routes, landscape view, customizable avatars and more!
2. GPS by TeleNav – the most user-friendly version of the app to have been released yet! Unlike MapQuest, however, voice navigation is not free.
Telenav is a road-tested, top-ranked, highly-rated, and award-winning turn-by-turn navigation app. Join tens of millions of people worldwide and never get lost again!
Free app highlights:
– Your commute: Conquered. Get turn-by-turn directions on where you want to go.
– Your world: Discovered. Search millions of new places, including cheapest gas prices nearby, with integrated search.
– Your maps: Digitized. Always have updated maps – for free!
– Your morning traffic: Beat. See daily traffic on a map to save time.
– Your Friends: Connected. Share your favorite destinations and post them to Facebook.
3. Waze social GPS and Traffic
When you download Waze, you not only get a free traffic & navigation app, but also become part of the local driving community in your area, joining forces with other drivers nearby to outsmart traffic, save time, and improve everyone’s daily commute!
– Live community-contributed traffic information and road reports + notifications when approaching police traps, speed cams, heavy traffic or hazards on the road
– Free traffic by-passing navigation featuring voice-guided, turn-by-turn guidance
– A 100% live map + real-time road monitoring & automatic re-routing as conditions on the road change
– Hands free operation – Use voice commands to share road events or have Waze direct you to home or work. (Initially available for US & Canada only)
– Share your location or destination via text or email, or update others on new ETA when running late. Your friends can click on the link in the message and launch Waze directly to that destination.
– Ability to create or join local driving groups, plus the option to link up with other drivers for carpooling
– Foursquare, Twitter & Facebook integrations, plus fun, geo-gaming elements
Please leave a comment if you have tried other navigational apps that are much better than what are listed above.